To design a poster campaign raising public awareness about the importance of talking and reading to young children. The aim to raise awareness about an issue of public interest while at the same time learning the intricacies of designing effective, persuasive and memorable messages for a specific audience.
Interventions in early stage of brain development could reveal disorders and lead to better treatments. The importance of engaging with toddlers and infants and the importance of bridging the gap of 30 million words and taking this message into the home of especially the low-income sectors in Atlanta was the goal of the campaign.
With the inputs and resources shared, we brainstormed and sketched multiple ideas. I picked out keywords and phrases that could form ideas central in the campaign and messages in the posters.
Roughly 20 ideas were sketched in 4” x 6” rectangles. The aim was to get quick, preliminary sketches, detailed enough to understand the elements, idea and thought process going into it. The exercise was done to flush out ideas and later identify potential ones and refine them in finer detail.
I picked my favorite ones from the preliminary sketches and worked them on the larger grid with more conscious attention to placement and details of elements.
I decided to keep it simple and probably influenced heavily by the “Richard Gregory” design exercise in class; started working with just the text, its grouping, hierarchies and organization. I tried to bring in elements from the typography exercise in certain posters to imply the meaning when possible.
I added one color to each of the design I realized that it formed a kind of minimalistic clean theme suiting the fact theme. Also considering that these posters go in a place like a pediatric office where there are multi color posters all over, I decided to keep colors in each to a minimum so that they stand out from the rest of the posters.
To bring in a common factor across the posters, I decided to stick to the same typeface. I started the design with “Helvetica” but for the kind of bold statements and facts “Futura” especially in the UPPERCASE appeared more suited. The color were chosen to be bright and contrasting from one poster to another. White text was used to highlight and a lighter tone of the color was selected as the secondary color. In all posters only a maximum of 3 shades were used, a dark tone and light tone of a color and white. The choice of colors were made from the Android Palette.
On each of the poster I tried to address the three related elements
To get a consistent branding across all the posters in the class we decided to have a common logo for the campaign. We decided on “Talk with me baby” as the campaign name and I attempted a few logos around it.
I attempted to maintain the ‘Talk Bubble’ in the design, (primarily because it looked good on the posters so far) and add another bubble to depict its an engaging activity involving two individuals.